Contaminated blood support schemes

The UK government make payments to those who contracted hepatitis C via an NHS blood transfusion prior to 1992 , or via blood products before 1985.

Those who contracted hepatitis via blood products are largely thought to have been diagnosed. There are still people being diagnosed with hepatitis C who contracted the virus through blood transfusions. If you had a blood transfusion prior to 1992, we suggest you request a hepatitis C test from your GP.

If you have just been diagnosed or have never claimed from any of the schemes before, then you first claim needs to be via the following governmental organisations in each of the four UK countries, depending on where you were infected:


 England:   NHS Business Services Authority

 Tel:  0300 330 1294


Further information can be found on the NHS Business Services Authority's England Infected Blood Support Scheme website here.


Northern Ireland:  Northern Ireland Regional Business Services Organisation

 Tel:  02895 363817 



Scotland - NHS National Services Scotland 

Tel:  0131 295 6754



Wales:  Velindre NHS Trust
More information to follow...


Please contact our helpline to find out more on what you need to do to make a claim 020 7089 6221 or by email

The schemes are currently undergoing reform and there may be changes to how they operate.